Yes, paper products! Paper towels, mail, money, kleenex, newspaper, magazines, wrapping paper, unrolling toilet paper and leaving a shredded paper trail down the hallway. The list goes on.
The strangest item LaVerne & Shirley ever chewed was several books from the lower level of our bookcase. They gnawed on the corners of the hardcover books and ripped and shredded several of the inside pages. Thank goodness they were my accounting text books. Not my favorite subject, and obviously nor theirs.
Fortunately those days are over for us, but I know some of you with SunMagic Clumber Spaniel puppies find this behavior to be very much alive.
So why do they shred paper???
- The shredding of paper can be an outlet for energy.
- They may feel bored, stressed, or anxious.
- The Clumber Spaniel enjoys the sensation of tearing something with their mouths, much like they would tear at their prey if they were hunting in the wild.
Here are a few ideas on how you can manage this behavior.
- Do a room by room patrol of your home and pick up any chewable paper items. Stash them in drawers and cabinets.
- Keep bathroom doors closed, toilet seats down, trash cans on counters. Beware the Clumber Spaniel has earned the gold medal for counter surfing.
- Offer suitable alternatives for their oral fixation needs by offering nylabones, or Extreme Kong toys stuffed with treats.
- Take your Clumber Spaniel on a long walk.
- Provide training and puppy exercises.
SunMagic Clumber Spaniel Nu News
Watch for Eli at the 140th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. The Clumber Spaniel breed judging can be viewed via live streaming at www.westminsterkennelclub.org on February 16, 2016, 12:00 pm in ring 9.
Hound, Toy, Non-Sporting & Herding Groups can be seen on CNBC Monday, February 15th 8pm-11pm
Sporting, Working, Terrier Groups and Best In Show can be seen on USA Tuesday, February 16th 8pm-11pm
Best to All!